A Text Custom Field allows you to create a field that can be populated with a free-form text string, consisting of a combination of letters, numbers, symbols, or other single-byte and multi-byte characters.
Text fields can be used with forms to capture data from prospects. In addition, users can import their own custom data into text fields.
How to Create Custom Text Fields
- Go to Settings > Prospect Settings > Prospect Fields.
- Click Add New Custom Field.
- In the Add Custom Field dialog box, provide the following information:
- Name: Input a name for the custom field that you're creating.
- Type: Use the drop-down menu to set the field type to "Text".
- Size: Specify the maximum limit of characters to be stored (50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000+).
NOTE - eTrigue will only store up to the maximum character limit specified by each field's 'Size' parameter. Any excess characters inserted by a form, imported list, or other means will be discarded. Please be aware of each field's character limit before inserting new data.
- When finished, click Save to create your Text Custom Field.
Custom Fields & Merge Tags (Landing Pages Only)
When building landing pages, users can also insert merge tags that utilize custom text fields. Text Fields have a unique property in that users can insert HTML content into their text fields.
Suppose we had a custom text field called "Fun Fact" and this field contained the following value:
The sun is about <b>93 million miles</b> away from planet Earth.</br>
This cool fact was brought to you by <i>eTrigue Corporation</i>.</br>
Visit our homepage: <a href="https://www.etrigue.com">click here</a>
Here is a landing page that references the field above within a merge tag: