A key part of privacy legislation and regulatory compliance relating to email marketing is getting consent from prospects prior to sending them commercial emails. To assist DemandCenter users with managing compliance in different geographical regions, DemandCenter includes a standard field called Jurisdiction.
It might be handy to setup an ongoing DemandCenter campaign that sets the Jurisdiction field for existing prospects or new prospects coming into your database.
How to Setup the Campaign
- Create a Dynamic List that matches on prospects that are missing a value for the Jurisdiction field.
Below is a screenshot of how you can setup the criteria for your Dynamic list.
- Create a campaign that runs Indefinitely and add your list to the Campaign's Audience setting in the Start Action.
- Add a Change Data Action to the campaign.
- Inside your Change Data Action, add Rules to set the values based on regions. One way you might do this is to use the Country field as a condition to assign the Jurisdiction.
For example, to handle the United States (regulated by CAN-SPAM), you could add a rule where the Country value equals: United States, United States of America, US, USA, U.S., or U.S.A., then set the Jurisdiction field to CAN-SPAM (USA).
- You can do something similar for Canada (regulated by CASL) and for the European Union (regulated by GDPR), by matching on the appropriate countries.
Important Note: The above example only describes using the Country field. It is very possible that prospects are missing a country or any field value that you are checking against. You should consider using other criteria to determine the Jurisdiction (e.g. State fields, email address endings).
GDPR Compliance Tips
For your convenience, we have provided some handy information below to help you identify individuals protected by GDPR.
GDPR applies to the 28 countries in the European Union (EU) and 3 countries in the European Economic Area (EEA). Below is a table of entities that are covered by GDPR, along with their top-level domain (TLD).
Note: The European Union has their own TLD, which brings the total to 32 entities.
Criteria for Use with Lists and Campaign Logic
For your copying and pasting pleasure, we have provided lists that you can use as the criteria for your lists and campaign logic. Paste these directly in your criteria boxes!
If you want to segment based on full country names using the Country field:
Austria,Belgium,Bulgaria,Croatia,Cyprus,Czech Republic,Denmark,Estonia,Finland,France,Germany,Greece,Hungary,Ireland,Iceland,Italy,Liechtenstein,Lithuania,Luxembourg,Latvia,Malta,Netherlands,Norway,Poland,Portugal,Romania,Spain,Sweden,Slovenia,Slovakia,United Kingdom,European Union
If you want to segment based on ISO 2-letter country codes using the Country field:
If you want to segment based on country TLDs using the Email Address field: